Saturday, January 25, 2014

Tutorial

Tutorial


Everybody says that home is the first classroom of the learners, so have you taught how to read the words bow? First of all who was your teacher or tutor? Did she/he differentiate the word bow in different pronunciation? I myself actually experienced this when I was starting to read words. Actually the question is how was I overcome this process to my nephew as his tutor. The process of how did I taught him how to read and differentiate the words bow.

            My nephew is now a preparatory student and by that age he is starting to read words. There are words which are difficult for him to read but the words bow make him confused. Since my nephew is already have a background of phonetics as part of their curriculum it somehow easy for him to analyze the sound of the letter and the words. As I introduced to him the word bow he pronounced it correctly /bo/. Then in the next day I introduced to him the same word unaware (I introduced the word thinking the other meaning and pronunciation of the word) he read it the same. Then I told him that there is another pronunciation of the word which is the /bau/ he asked why that this word have different pronunciation? I told him that it depends on its meaning.

            So I used it in context to determine the differences for him to be able to understand words better.

“Robin hood is a fictional character. He uses bow and arrow as his weapons. He is a good person who defeats bad people.”

“Rosetta is a great stage performer. She can act, dance sing and she can even play instruments. She is beautiful and after she is done performing she bow to the crowd.”

            Since my nephew is a first language users I answered him “and bow = /bo/ ay English ng pana at ang bow = /bau/ ay yung pagyuko ng mga performers pagkatapos magperform”. By using the words in contexts my nephew get the idea that the word pronounce depend on its uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment